Following the return of my repaired soldering probe and the completion of several piece of work for a client, I spent an enjoyable couple of days in the workshop, finishing off my first three S scale freight motors for the Niagara St. Catharines & Toronto Railway.
Adding the deck-mounted air tanks and their plumbing, plus the handrails, really changed the look of these models – for the better! I like how Number 8 expresses the family appearance while having a number of unique details – including its tube pilot and a different handrail arrangement. But 15 and 19 also have some distinctive details.
I will give these three a final inspection and then hit them with a coat of primer. Meantime, today I ordered decals – S scale CNR passenger car sets from Black Cat Publishing, which should work fine. The paint should be nice and dry by the time they arrive.
I debated whether to paint these in the CNR green scheme. I think it’s great, but the prototype only wore that colour combination at the very end of electrification in 1960. So, I’ve opted for basic black with orange window frames, which will allow me to run these alongside CNR steam.
I’ve also been ordering all the parts I need for the rest of my NS&T freight motor kits, so when these are done I’ll be able to jump right into the next project.